Thursday, September 24, 2009

September 24, 2009.

This entry was told by Tatilgak from Western Arctic Canada. Referring to the constellations Aagjuuk and Sivulliit.

These are magic words (Irinaliutit, Makilirut) are said when the sun is rising and he is going seal hunting.

"By which way, I wonder the mornings-
You dear morning, get up!
See I am up!
By which way I wonder,
the constellation Aagjuuk rises up in the sky?
By this way-perhaps-by the morning
It rises up!

Morning, you dear morning, get up!
See I am up!
By which way, I wonder,
the constellation Sivulliit
Has risen to the sky?
By this way-perhaps-by the morning.
It rises up!



Reference: The Arctic Sky, John MacDonald ISBN 0-88854-427-8

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I am currently taking Nunavut Teacher Education Program